MRTG ver. 2.97
Net-SNMP ver. 4.2.6
OS : RedHat Linux 7.3
This doc should help you with configuring a RedHat Linux box for monitoring system parameters (local/remote), using Net-SNMP and MRTG.
About MRTG and Net-SNMP
MRTG (Multi-Router Traffic Grapher)
The Multi Router Traffic Grapher (MRTG) is a tool to monitor the traffic load on network-links. MRTG generates HTML pages containing graphical images which provide a LIVE visual representation of this traffic.
Check http://www.ee.ethz.ch/stats/mrtg/ for an example.
MRTG is based on Perl and C and works under UNIX and Windows NT.
MRTG is being successfully used on many sites around the net
Net-SNMP is a collection of various tools relating to the Simple Network Management Protocol including:
* An extensible agent
* An SNMP library
* tools to request or set information from SNMP agents
* tools to generate and handle SNMP traps
* a version of the unix ‘netstat’ command using SNMP
* a graphical Perl/Tk/SNMP based mib browser
Configuring SNMP Daemon
(Note: This doc does NOT talk about running the SNMP daemon securely. Please refer the SNMP docs for it)
1) edit /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf, and add the following:
2) then, in the section “process checks”, edit
proc httpd ( if you want to monitor httpd processes)
proc java ( if you want to monitor java processes)
3) then, in section “disk checks”, edit/add
( to monitor / and /var partitions)
4) restart SNMP daemon
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/snmpd restart
5) now, SNMP is running with a read-only community string of public to answer snmp queries
here is the MRTG configuration file. Customize it to suit your requirements.