Since the release of the latest Mac OS version 10.4 (Tiger), Tamil Unicode support is available at the operating system level for Apple computers. The system software comes with a Tamil Unicode font called InaiMathi, which can display all Tamil characters. The OS provides two keyboard layout options: Murasu Anjal (somewhat phonetically based) and Tamilnet99.
Tamil Unicode webpages should display correctly by default. To enable Tamil Unicode keyboard support on Mac OS 10.4, do the following:
- Open “System Preferences…” (available under the Apple sign)
- Select “International” (under Personal)
- Select “Edit List…” (under Language)
- Click “Show” (next to Tamil)
- Click “OK”
- Select “Input Menu” (under International)
- Click “ON” next to Murasu Anjal Tamil
- Confirm that Anjal and Tamil99 are selected (under Murasu Anjal Tamil)
- Close the window (press red button)
- To input in Tamil, click on the national flag menu (likely US flag) on the vertical bar at the top of the screen and select one of the keyboards. The font will by default be InaiMathi.